December 7, 2013

Jerusalem

After having spent 3 days in Jerusalem I dare to say it has instantly become one of my favourite cities in the world. It's amazing to walk around this Holy City that holds so much history and where you can feel the religious vibe everywhere, not to mention the cultural melting pot that has really stolen my heart. I've convinced my parents to go back when they're coming to visit me around New Year's Eve - I can't wait! My favourite thing about Jerusalem has to be the food though: I've had one of the best meals I've had in years at a small but very hip bar/restaurant downtown, as well as amazing falafel and hummus (topped with pine nuts, need I say more?). Also, I've totally taken over the Jewish Shabbat ritual by not doing anything today, while I actually have to study for my final exam tomorrow. Inshallah, as Arabs would say!





Falafel sandwich upon arrival: what else?


Holocaust Museum - very much recommended, and really touching.




First night's dinner: Beetroop soup with kubbeh, Middle Eastern style dumplings.










The Western Wall


Dressing modestly out of respect for the holy sites. Also, fresh pomegranate juice, my latest obsession.












The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, where Jesus was said to be crucified and buried.












Yaffa Street, one of the main streets in the modern part of the city - I love how clean it is compared to Amman, and there even is a tram! Big plus if you want to move around the city quickly. 


The view from Mount of Olives


Tomb of the Virgin Mary


Obligatory falafel, hummus & salad - this little restaurant could only fit in 10 people but it was really worth the wait!










Being the foodie that I am, you can imagine my excitement when walking through the Mahane Yehuda market. Fresh fruits, roasted nuts and delicious pastries, what's not to love?













And last but not least, the Temple Mount and the amazing Dome of the Rock. We actually had to wait till the last day to visit Jerusalem's icon because it's closed on both Friday and Saturday (day of prayer for Muslims and Jews) but it was really worth the wait. Absolutely breathtaking.

If you ever get the chance to visit Jerusalem, I can't recommend it enough! I'm going back around New Year's Eve with my parents, and probably once more during Spring or so, to explore Western Jerusalem a bit more. So much to discover!