October 7, 2014

So long?

DSC_0844 (2)
Love you all / I am the cheesiest person ever
You might have noticed I haven't been blogging that much lately. To be honest I haven't been feeling inspired at all, although the main reason is that I simply don't have the time. Moving to London to pursue my masters degree has been a  new and very exciting chapter in my life, and I'm still trying to balance university with social life (we all know the struggle) so blogging really isn't one of my priorities. In fact, I don't think it will be this year, as I feel like I really have to focus on my degree - I'm enjoying every minute (ha. ha. I know you're reading this, mom &  dad) of it but given the workload and the expectations that I have set for myself, I just can't find the time and energy for blogging anymore. So much respect for people who study/work fulltime and manage to keep up their blog regularly - I barely have time to sleep! (no really, I fell asleep trying to finish the last article of my required reading list for today's lecture last night. Fun times) 

Blogging has always been a hobby for me, but I feel that once it becomes a drag, you have to re-evaluate the reasons behind it. When you can't offer high-quality blog posts, why blog at all? I don't feel like spending the little spare time I have on taking outfit photos, editing them and posting them, hoping at least a few people will notice and appreciate it. Recently I've talked about how blogging has become a business driven by consumerism and superficiality. I have moved on from talking about what I'm wearing and what I want to buy to thinking about more profound subjects such as ethical fashion, feminism, street harassment and muslim fashion. While I still thoroughly enjoy taking inspiration from fashionable people - online and on the street - and I most certainly love the thrill of finding that one perfect piece of clothing, I don't have the desire to talk about it anymore. And sometimes you just want to get dressed for the day, you know? And not having to think about every possible combination or getting that perfect instagram shot. (I will still give it a try once in a while though, don't worry)

This doesn't necessarily mean I want to stop blogging altogether, because I've met some great people through blogging (you know who you are!) and I like having a creative outlet - just not as regularly as I used to do (did I ever? Ahem) So I hope you will stick around, or you can always follow me on twitter or instagram if you want to keep up to date with what keeps me busy! (mainly school though. I apologize in advance)

Love,
Siel xxx


PS: I suggest you check out some of my favourite bloggers - women with a great sense of style who are not afraid to speak their mind! 
Annebeth (Styling Dutchman), Renée (Blanco), Laura (Laura Pauline K), Hannelore (Au pays des Merveilles), Leen (Lena Lena est là), Sabina (Insomnia), Pandora (Pandora Sykes), Elien (Dogs and Dresses), Nel (Een Uffra met een Pitslichteke) & Man Repeller (of course)